In accordance with Section 198 of DENR Administrative Order No. 2010-21, otherwise known as the Implementing Rules and Regulations of the Mining Act of 1995, the Mines and Geosciences Bureau Regional Office No. V (MGB RO-V) shall operationalize the Regional Investigation and Assessment Team (RIAT).
The Team shall be composed of representatives from the following members: Department of Environment and Natural Resources- V, Environmental Management Bureau-V, Department of Health-V, Department of Agriculture-V, and Local Government Units concerned.
RIAT is created to assist the Contingent Liability Rehabilitation Fund-Steering Committee (CLRF-SC) in the investigation and assessment of the claims for compensation for damages due to mining operations pursuant to the abovementioned section of the said Administrative Order.
Further, the RIAT shall have the following functions:
- Provides advice to interested parties on matters related to claims for compensation for damages under these implementing rules and regulations;
- Provides applications and other related forms to prospective claimants for damages;
- Receives applications for compensation for damages under these implementing rules and regulations;
- Conducts field investigations and assessments of claims for damages (MGB Form No.18-3) and submits reports to the CLRF Steering Committee through the TWG;
- Creates, whenever and wherever deemed necessary, Local Task Forces to assist the RIATs in carrying out its functions; and
Performs other functions that may be assigned by the Director.